With the highly advanced techniques available in modern dentistry, dental implants are fast gaining popularity as a routine tooth replacement procedure done at Cosmecare Dentistry.
A missing tooth will give a lot of inconvenience to the patient including difficulty in chewing , food lodgement and speech . The goal of dentistry would be to restore in perfect form and function. With the help of implants, this has now become absolutely possible and achievable!!
Dental Implants - What are they ?
In simple terms, a dental implant is an artificial tooth root made of titanium which is surgically drilled in the jaw bone.The same implant is then used as a foundation for prosthesis to restore the missing tooth.
The biggest advantage of an implant is that it does not involve unnecessary trimming of the neighbouring tooth as is seen in conventional bridges thereby saving adjacent teeth.
Uses of Dental Implants:
- To replace missing tooth (one or more) without involving the adjacent tooth
- It is used to support a fixed partial prosthesis also known as a bridge.
- Implants are also used beneath complete dentures for additional support and retention thereby terming it as overdentures.
Dental Implants - What are they made of?
They are made of Grade 4 titanium depending on the amount of carbon and iron it contains. It looks like a small titanium screw with a roughened surface. Recently grade 5 titanium is being used for implant manufacturing.
Diagnosis & Evaluation:
- Firstly, the bone density of the implant site along with the opposing arch occlusion needs to be thoroughly evaluated for better prognosis of the implant.
- Secondly , the medical history of the patient needs a thorough check up whether he / she can undergo a surgical procedure for implant placement?
- A routine blood investigation along with x rays like OPG and 3D CT scans are advised.
Implant Placement Procedure:
It mainly involves two major steps:
- The first step involves surgical placement of implant via bone drilling. It might need assistance of bone grafts or sinus lift procedures.
- This involves the restoring phase of the implant which includes placement of a crown or an overdenture or a fixed prosthodontic denture (bridge).
It is advisable to wait for 3-6 moths between the first and the second stage of implant placement in order to promote adequate amount of bone healing and support around the implants. A lot of external factors such as maintaining good oral hygiene along with habits such as smoking play an important along with the systemic history of the patient (especially diabetics).
Immediate Tooth Replacement With Dental Implants:
With the advancing technology, a lot of implants are being placed in an extraction socket along with same day temporization[ temporary crowns] are given to the patient. Routine follow ups are held for the next 3-6 months followed by permanent crowns to be given.
There is chance of an implant failing mainly dependent on the amount of bone regeneration around the implant along with a lot of other factors like asepsis and placement of the implant in the bone and patients medical history.
Cost of Dental Implants:
Dental implants are now being manufactured all over the world in the name of different brands such as Nobel Biocare, Osstem and Dentsply. There are different types available for different cases along with expensive kits associated with it. Also once the implant is placed , manufacturing a crown based on its dimension has its own expenditure . Hence a lot of operators hard work and expertise goes into all of this , with very few insurance companies covering the cost of implants. In general ,India is a cheaper destination for implant placement thereby making it more viable for medical tourism than the western world. Low price for dental cosmetic treatment in India however des not necessarily mean compromise in quality .We in India , use the same materials, techniques and implants as used in the West.